- 3 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Large White Onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 3 cups of low salt chicken broth
- 1 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 ½ tsp sugar
- Pinch of dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil on medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and stir frequently till the onions are soft but not brown. About 7 to 9 minutes. Add the flour and stir to coat the garlic and onions. Pour in the broth and add the plum tomatoes with all their juices as well as the thyme, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir for a while till you’re sure that no flour has stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Cover and simmer for about 35 to 40 minutes on low heat. Turn off the soup and let cool.
- Puree the soup in several batches using a blender. Return the soup to the pot. Reheat and serve.
- Or stash in the fridge the second day it tastes even better.
Hope you enjoy this delicious tomato soup all year round.
Adapted from Fine Cooking Magazine