A small Apple Pie = less guilt.
I love Apple Pie with or without ice cream but, I don’t want to make a big 9-inch pie and end up eating the whole thing. Even with Michael’s help, a big pie would be adding extra pounds we don’t need. So this is my solution. We still get a pie, but not so much.
- 1 6 inch glass pie plate
- 1 small sauce pan
- 1 rolling pin
- 1 piece of aluminum foil a little larger than the pie plate
- 1 9 " pie shell ( Pillsbury is good or your store brand is fine. Use only one and save the other for something else.
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- ¼ cup of dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of white sugar
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of allspice
- ½ teaspoon of lemon zest
- 3 Granny Smith apples - 3 cups chopped
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees
- The first eight ingredients go into the saucepan to make the caramel sauce
- Add butter to the pan and let it melt adding the flour and stir for a minute, then add the sugars, cinnamon, allspice and lemon zest.
- This should look like caramel sauce. Turn off the heat and let it sit.
- Take out your refrigerated pie dough and roll it out on a floured surface to stretch it out a bit. This makes for a lighter crust.
- Place the dough in your pie plate and cut around the edges leaving about ½ inch to fold over the lattice top and set aside. With leftover dough make 4 strips or the lattice top.
- Add your chopped apples to the pie and pour over the caramel sauce.
- Add the 4 strip lattice fold over the ½ inch hanging over the sides and decorate the edges with a fork.
- Bake your pie for 20 minutes, then put the sheet of Aluminum foil over the top to protect the crust from getting too brown.
- Lower the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 15 minutes more.
- Watch your pie. Many ovens are different in temperature so keep an eye on it the first time you bake it.
After a few times making this you can practically do it with your eyes closed. A guest for dinner? They will be impressed! Most of these ingredients you will probably have on hand and you will be able to just pick up some pie crust and apples at the store and it’s so easy on the wallet.