It’s not necessary to fill every minute of every day with a bunch of busywork. But sometimes it’s good to just do something on our own. Something just for you. This is a good way to recharge. Here are 25 things you can do on your own and a sure way to enjoy your day. Get free printable below.
- Go to the park, bring a blanket and a book and most of all a bologna sandwich. If you can’t get up and down from a blanket, sit on a bench. Have your own picnic.
- Start a journal using colored pencils, watercolors or fountain pen. See some watercolor images for inspiration here: Beautiful examples of watercolor journaling
- Go to the library and browse, browse, browse. Pick up a mystery and a How To book on something you always wanted to learn.
- If you can, go to the Art Museum on Seniors Day. Maybe even take some close-up photos of beautiful paintings then, come home print them out and cut them to any size or shape you need make some stunning greeting cards with them. They will be cherished.
- Make some popcorn and watch a movie.
- Tackle a do it yourself project that needs to be done. Like my toilet paper holder is getting loose. I need to fix that.
- Most hospitals have a swimming pool exercising class for around ten dollars a visit. Great for Osteoarthritis, degenerative disc disease and many more of our usual problems. Give your nearest hospital a call and ask them if these classes are available. All the ladies in these classes are so sweet I went for a whole year. Thinking of re-joining this summer.
- Give yourself a tea party. Have a few biscotti on hand. Use your best China or favorite cup and saucer.
- Spend some time in the sun either in your yard, patio, porch or at the park. Bring some crossword puzzles. Really good for your brain.
- Take up photography and submit your photographs to Unsplash. https://unsplash.com/
If you are confined to the house don’t worry about having to go out to take photos. There are such beautiful photos of Apples, pencils, dishes, plants, and just ordinary things in your home that are sought after. Such fun, learning how to set up for the photo. The photos are free if you want to grab some and they don’t pay you if you submit one of your own photos but, it’s a great way to learn.
- Take an online class. Or earn your degree online. Many seniors are doing this. How awesome is that? If you prefer, attend classes.
- Reorganize your entire closet. It’s kind of hard to get into, but you will feel fabulous afterward.
- Make homemade cookies and eat some and freeze some for another day. OK, you can give some away if you want.
- Write down your goals. No matter what your age we should have goals no matter how small you think they are. Give yourself a certain amount of time to achieve them.
- Clean out your dresser drawers and throw out anything you never wear or use. Especially the torn undies.
- Find a painting or a drawing online and then try to duplicate it with colored pencils. Be brave and frame it!
- Light some scented candles and make a cup of tea. Get in a comfy chair and read a book.
- Check out the senior center and see if they have Tai chi classes. Tai Chi is a form of meditation in movement. Relieves stress and anxiety.
- Go see a movie on the big screen by yourself. There’s plenty of ladies at the show by themselves when I go.
- Learn to knit or crochet. You can get a book from the library on it or find some free online source to learn. If you have arthritis in your hands or not, this is great to keep those fingers moving.
- Start a small container garden. Could even be just a few plants out on the patio. Maybe some herbs or your favorite flower. Try both.
- Volunteer your time to a food pantry or soup kitchen. You will meet a lot of caring people there. It’s usually a once a week thing. Check out your town or city for information.
- Learn to meditate.10 minute meditation
- If there are any concerts at your park district, grab a lawn chair and drive over. Many towns have free concerts on summer evenings.
- Write a poem Take your time. It may take a while to get it exactly the way you like. Writing is so much like painting. Sometimes you have to walk away. Savor for a while.
I’ve added a printable here so you can save this list. 25 things to do on your own